Southold, NY

Southold Town Green



Things to do

Birdwatching, Nature Study



Main Rd, Southold, NY 11971


This small 0.6-acre property on the corner of the main intersection in Southold Village was established as a Town Green through the work of the Peconic Land Trust and many dedicated community members in late 1986. 

The property has a long and interesting history, as one of the earliest residential lots in the Town of Southold, with a house standing there since (at least) 1658, although the property was vacant when the Trust acquired it. 

As a result of its ownership by a couple of local silversmiths and the existence of another silversmith’s residence on another corner of the intersection, the area became known locally as Silversmith’s Corner.

The Trust acquired the commercial property from Herbert Mandel through a bargain sale with funds provided by George Wells in memory of his aunt, Lillian Howell. Over the next couple of years, the Trust worked with community members to transform the property into a small park complete with gazebo and gardens.

The property was given to the Town of Southold in 1988 to be maintained as a beautiful public green for the enjoyment of area residents.

Loading map...
Get Directions

Southold Town Green

Main Rd, Southold, NY 11971

Things To Do

Nature Study